Wild Child Playground

come in... take off your hat, take everything off if you want, but watch out for the lion, it bites and we don't like blood on the furniture

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Spoiled Not Rotten

The title of this post came from the name of a company I noticed in passing at work. I thought to myself, 'Ooo how clever, and true." I kind of feel that way sometimes. Definitely not rotten , or spoiled by having too much, but in the way that fun can sometimes get spoiled far too easily by a seemingly small event.

It brings to mind one Halloween when I was about 9 or 10. I came running down the stairs, way too excited as all kids are on this particular night, and stepped, with all my force, on a needle sticking out of the carpet. Since the needle was stuck point down, it was the dull eye of the needle that pierced my little foot, thread still in it and all. I cried so much. Not necessarily from the pain, although I know it hurt, but mainly because I knew, just KNEW that Halloween was spoiled. Thinking back, I can't remember if I actually ended up going out trick or treating that night, but I don't think so. The needle spoiled everything.

I think I may now know what it feels like to be spoiled milk; curdled and disappointing. For a while that feeling consumed me with self-loathing. Funny thing about spoiled milk though, once it has spoiled it has the potential to become many other delicious and wonderful things.

So there.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're back! Yeeeeeaaaahhh!

    That's horrible (about that Halloween). Halloween is our sacred holiday (along with Christmas and New Years and our birthdays). I'd cry too if I were that age and missed it.

    Back when I was a kid, we used to fill pillow cases with candy. We'd go with a group of 8 or 9 kids, and I had a way of moving my bag so the grown-ups would think they haven't given me candy yet.

    I got four from one house once. That was my record. I could usually pull off two, and sometimes the grown-up would ask "didn't I give you any?" I'd just play dumb and they'd give me one more.

    Man, I miss trick-or-treating.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counter