Wild Child Playground

come in... take off your hat, take everything off if you want, but watch out for the lion, it bites and we don't like blood on the furniture

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Anticipation to Vacation.

6 Days.

In only 6 short days I will get to experience the sense of independence that is alien to most parents until their spawn turn 18 or so. Maybe not, maybe most parents get a summer break now and then.. thats what grandparents, or aunts and uncles are for right? Well this is the first summer that I will get to have this amazing experience.

I have already mentioned before (at some point I am sure) that I used to get a lot more time away from the responsibilities of motherhood. When we still lived in the same area as 'daddy', and we practiced equal parenting. That was a wonderful, and sometimes guilty pleasure, one week with me, one week with dad. As of today its been 5 months in which I have had a total of 10 days break from my son. It may seem selfish to think of it that way, (as I'm sure it is to some uptight, self-righteous, rule-bound 'folks' who should just stop reading this post NOW) but I know how important it is to have space in a healthy way. Leave the guilt to the ultra-religious I say, they have enough for all of us. If you're going to do something find a reason that feels good to do it... "guilt is never the right reason" a good friend of mine used to say.

My son is totally secure and has no problem with going to stay with daddy, grandma and papa and uncle Sean, auntie willow, these are all his favorite people (especially uncle Sean shhhhh, he's practically Optimus Prime incarnate)... in the mountainous valley I so lovingly speak of. He will probably have a great month, and so will I. Family is a wonderful thing to have, unless you have that kind of family... the ones we don't like to speak of, then you'd be better off not allowing them to take your children for a month :)

In this case, our vacations are coming and I can't wait to see what kind of fun I can get myself into. I'm thinking a road trip to see my Annabanana, and at least a week of sleeping in until 9am. Hmmmm how wonderful. Well I am off to do some more work on the 'fire room'. We are renovating it, today is for sanding the mud, then a good coat of primer, paint and a nice new carpet.. it will probably end up being the nicest room in the house. Lucky Who.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said…

    You're not selfish by any means. When I was growing up, Grandma Zombieslayer got us for the summer. My parents actually had time alone together, and to this day, they're still married.

    Nowadays, Papa Zombieslayer goes to Montana and gets Junior for the summer. The Mrs. and I love it. Don't get me wrong, we love spending time with Junior, but for a couple to make it, quality time together really helps.

     
  • At 10:00 PM, Blogger clothosfate said…

    Thanks man. I agree with you and appreciate hearing it from other parents... I think guilt and worry are things born unto mothers along with their children; they all take a lifetime to seperate yourself from.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counter